Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Wicked screensaver, an explanation

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Wicked screensaver, an explanation
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:37:56 -0500
Dave/Mike & Others,

This is a complicated virus.  I have actually had it active once and
know exactly what it does and what to look for.  For the past week
I have been running a virus scan every day and have all the proper
quick patches from Microsoft installed.  I know this virus is not
active on my machine yet I've been getting 5 or 6 e-mails every day
telling me that mail with my e-mail address has been intercepted
and is infected.

How is this possible?  The virus works out of your address book.
If your address is in the address book on an infected computer it
will send e-mails with undesired attachments all over the place
using the available addresses in the e-mail program.  Since I have
no control over who has my address there is no way I can stop this.
It might be just one person or it might be more than one.  No way of
knowing.

How do you know if you have it?  It is called "SoBig" or "ToBig"
because it will start running while you are trying to use the computer.
If you have Win2000 or NT you can look in the Task Manager and it
will show that one process is using 99% of your resources.  Your
computer will essentially "lock up" because this virus never completes
the task that takes all your resources.  What makes it even worse is
it does this at random and will leave you alone for a while or start up
right away.

Russ