[BRHSlist] New Car News

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] New Car News
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:47:12 -0000
Great news (I hope) for CB&Q modelers from 1941 on! In case you
haven't already heard, Atlas is releasing an ACF 70-ton "Hart
Selective Service Ballast Car" (go to their website and click
on "New and Coming Soon", then look under July 17, 2003
announcements). These cars were built from 1940-1953. They appear to
be the same as the ACF "Rodger Selective Service Ballast Car" as
shown in Mike Spoor's color guide (MOW section). CB&Q had 250 of
these cars, Class MWB-13, numbers 221000-221249. The cars look
awesome from the pre-production pictures ? separately applied grab
irons, coupler cut levers, brake detail, etc.

Now here are the questions:

Is the Rodgers car the same as a Hart car? They appear to be
identical (same number of ribs, doors design, length, etc.). The
time frame is right on -1941 on the Q, with ACF Hart cars built from
1940-1953. Also, two of the first roads being released by Atlas are
GN (Mineral Red) and NP (Black), so I'm thinking that CB&Q might
have this same car.

What colors were the Q cars painted in? Definitely Mineral Red,
since the picture in Spoor's book is in Mineral Red as of 1971. Did
they ever get Chinese Red or MOW Orange?

Now the bad news ? it is not being released in CB&Q in the first
run. If this is indeed a Q prototype, I for one would volunteer in
leading an immediate charge with Atlas to either:

1.      Release the car in CB&Q (I've already called them and put in
my request to see more CB&Q)
2.      See if Atlas would do an early release if we got enough pre-
orders (I think their minimum is 100 or 200 cars ? anyone know?)
3.      Consider these cars as a BRHS car project????

Last option is painting these myself, but I know how long it takes
to do cars of this type, just having finished some ACF 70ton MOW
covered hopper sand cars in orange.

Tom Mack

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM