Re: [BRHSlist] Mid-1930's St. Louis to Burlington passenger trains

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Mid-1930's St. Louis to Burlington passenger trains
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:59:06 -0600
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:11:27 -0500, Rob Adams wrote
> The October through December 1936 public timetables show the
> following passenger trains running between St. Louis and Burlington:
>
> Northbound:
> Train 43 - Mark Twain Zephyr
> Train 1 - Fast Mail
> Train 15 - Twin City Limited
>
> Southbound:
> Train 44 - Mark Twain Zephyr
> Train 8-16 - Overland Express
> Train 12 - Referred to as Twin City Limited on one page and the St.
> Louis Limited on another
>
> Trains 1 and 15 ran through to Minneapolis, while trains 12 and 8-16
> originated in Minneapolis, running on the CRI&P.  Were these Burlington
> trains or Rock Island trains?

Yes.  That was the slot on the schedule which became the Zephyr Rockets in '41
It was a joint operation similar to the Z-R except that power was not run-
through.

> Can anyone offer information about specific consists of those trains?
> (obviously the Mark Twain consist is known)  From the timetables, the
> through trains had sleepers,

I *used* to have a late '30s CRI&P timetable which specified rhe sleeper
layouts used - there was also a diner lounge and chair car.  I would suspect
that Q and RI each furnished half-consists as they did for the ZR, and that
it was a mix&match on road names.

As for the Fast Mail, It was just what the name says.  By the time I knew the
train, its only passenger accomodations were coaches behind RPOs, baggage and
mail storage cars - whether it ever had a swap-in/swap-out diner I can't say,
but doubt that it ever had sleepers.

> If they were Burlington trains, what motive power would have been
> typical?
>
> Is it safe to assume that B-1A or S-4 engines never routinely ran
> between Burlington and St. Louis?

As far as I know, they did *not*.  I don't even think that line saw the S-3
Heavy Pacifics to any extent.  Power would probably have been S-1a and S-2a
rebuilds.  Q didn't like to put the older, unrebuilt power on long-distance
schedules - most of the unrebuilt 4-6-2s were kept in suburban territory . . .

--
Iowa Telecom WebMail (http://www.iowatelecom.net)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM