[BRHSlist] Black Hawk Wreck

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Black Hawk Wreck
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:57:20 -0500
List,

I just came across a publication from the Downers Grove Historical
Society issued during the town's centennial year, 1976. The book is in
the form of a weekly calendar with many historical DG photos
throughout.  On the page for the week of May 24th are two Q photos
identified as the Black Hawk wreck of 1927. One photo shows the end of
a passenger car with C.M.&St. P. wrecker no. 14 beginning to lift the
car out of the debris. The other photo shows several cars in varying
degrees of destruction. The caption says "No one was injured in the
derailment just west of the Forest Ave. crossing."

Does anyone have other details or photos of this accident. It is not
one that I am familiar with, even though I grew up there in the '40s,
50s and 60s. What was the causes? Were locomotives involved? Was the
train eastbound or west? It sounds like the wreck may have occurred
near the present crossovers. Haven't tried to look the wreck up in the
ICC records yet.

Bill Barber

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM