Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Stingy or not Stingy?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Stingy or not Stingy?
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:45:21 -0600
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:39:08 -0000, nycbqfan wrote

And Marshall reples,

<You make some good points, but I'd like to expand a bit on some . . . I'll
insert my comments at the appropriate spots, framed <thusly>

>  1.  Actually, my opinion of late (after being in this hobby 35
> years)  is that we have more great stuff in CB&Q than ever.  I can't
> ever  remember being in a position where I actually have to decide I
> will  buy this but not that because there is more available than I
> can  afford.  God bless the likes of Life-Like for the great plastic
>  diesels and the Heritage Steam, not to mention some of the brass
> companies that have stepped up to the plate (cost notwithstanding).
>  I think this hobby allows a price point for anyone.

<True, but I also think it would be good if we recovered and improved some
old skills . . . for example, if I wanted an o2 mikado, and a brass model
were offered at $1200 or so, I think I'd pick up an Athearn from the swap-
meet at $150 or less & whomp up a new superstructure from styrene sheet . . .>

>  2.  I do agree that part of what affects what is bought and
> therefore  what can be offered is the audience.  I'm guessing that
> CB&Q  followers are not as numerous as the PRR group.  I also think
> some of  these other groups enjoy better participation because the
> railroad  was more concentrated geographically.  The New Haven
> society seems to  have a pretty good group, and geographically it
> was a small  railroad.  But it was built in an area of the country
> that had a high  population.  It's also easier to get a good
> attendance at an annual  meeting because most of its membership, I
> am guessing, live fairly  close to each other.

<As it happens, I had occasion to correspond at length with Marlin
McLaughlin, long-time officer of the NHRTIA.  He lived in Mobile AL, as I
recall.  I think on-line population density is a major influence . . . but so
is the attention the old tinplate and early scale model manufacturers.
American Flyer popularized the New Haven a lot . . . the popularity of the
Santa Fe War Bonnet has to be partly credited to Lionel, and a lot more
people became familiar with the Reading in steam days because of John Tyler
at Mantua.  Also, the amount of print-space in the magazines used to be
extremely influential . . . How much attention would the CMSt.P & P have
gotten without Bill Walthers and Al Kalmbach???? >

>  I am continually amazed that the authors find the time and have the
>  knowledge and resources to put these books together.  Free plug to
> Ed  Derouin on his CUS book.  How the heck did you do it, Ed?  I
> can't  imagine the time commitment.  It's a wonderful book, too.
>
>  I think at the end of the day the free market rules. If people find
> a  product or service to be of value, they will buy it, if they can
> afford it.  If it is not of value or they cannot afford, they won't
> buy it.  Some very good things never get made or printed because
> they  are too expensive.
>
>  To take it one step further, our group and any RR historical group
>  face a huge problem as the members age.  At 51 years old, I was all
>  of 18 when the CB&Q went into history (1970). How many 25 or 30
> year  olds have a clue about this railroad - certainly none from
> first hand  memories.

<I corresponded a few years ago with a Q modeler who was younger than the
BN . . . he had become interested in the Q solely because the redbird paint
scheme caught his eye at a hobby shop, but went on to become quite involved
in and proficient at modeling the CB&Q . . .>

>  Not to put too fine a point on it, but as the
> people with  the information and recollections pass on, who fills in
> behind them?   These may well be the good old days of our model
> train and railroad  enthusiast hobbies.

The Midwest Old Threshers steam traction engine show started here in Mt.
Pleasant in 1950.  It was organized by men who had grown up in the 20s and
30s and ran those engines on their daddies' farms.  53 years later, that
entire geberation is gone - and the show continues now in its third
generation of "apprentices" who can not only maintain and operate the
equipment, but who (in most cases) can still pass on the stories they heard
as they learn.  The CB&Q will live on in its modelers . . . who will have
been *our* apprentices!>

Marshall Thayer
Mt. Pleasant, IA

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511