Re: [BRHSlist] Headlights on GP/SD Locos

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Headlights on GP/SD Locos
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:30:04 -0500
Malcolm;

In my experience, fiber optics work very well for illuminating the HO
scale castings from Details Associates, Details West and others.

You'll probably want to start with relatively thick fiber as the
resultant light will look better.  I believe the optic I've used is at
least 0.030 in diameter (obviously it needs to be smaller than the
diameter of the light you are trying to create). Experiment with using a
flame held in proximity to the fiber end to create a shallow eliptical
end that is smooth.  With patience and a little practice, you'll soon be
able to achieve "sealed beam headlights" of consistent size and shape.

To light the fibers, I've "re-used" the acrylic light blocks that are
utilized for lighting in many of todays models.  Cut the block back from
the face original light protrusions so that sufficient clearance will
exist within the shell for the fibers without undue stresses.  Then
drill the acrylic block for the number of fiber "lights".  You can
install them into the block at angles if necessary.

Drill the light castings to the size of the fiber strand so the fit is
snug, stick the fibers through the castings and then glue the fibers
into place with ACC.

Cut the fibers to an appropriate length and afix them to the light block
with with Elmers white glue, airplane canopy cement or similar
adhesive.  This will dry clear but still allow "non-destructive"
disassembly should that ever become necessary.

Good luck!

Kind regards, Rob Adams

locopainter215 wrote:

> Hello,
> I want to install the correct Details West lights on some P2K GP/SD
> locomotives. What would be the best way to light them, fiber optics,
> LED's? How have the rest of you tackled this project?
> Regards, Malcolm Byrd

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM