Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q shovelnoses

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q shovelnoses
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:14:39 -0600
<snip>   Like you, I couldn't justify the cost of
> brass, so using the old MR article   I kitbashed the Pioneer Zephyr.
>  I am working on a 9908 Silver Charger using   the same technique.
>  I'd never considered making a mold to duplicate them,   though.
>  Great idea!   Thanks,   Roger Hanson   Kansas City, MO

Roger -

Fabricating one's own Zephyr nose (more accurately than in the old MR
article) seems a lot simpler than you might think.  As nearly as I was able
to determine from consideable research, all 4 shovel nose styles (9900/9901-
9903 and MEC 6000/9904-9907 and 9908) shared the fact that the nose curvature
is identical to a half-cylinder tilted to the angle of the nose, then cut to
the horizontal.  This makes the planform half of an ellipse, which appears to
be how the original shape was derived.  The cross-section of the engine
compartment roof is identical to a standard E unit, so that gives you the top
contour which tapers down to the roof-nose junction.  You'll have some cut-
and-fit to do, but it should be feasible.

Good luck!

Marshall Thayer
Two blocks south of MP 233.6

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM