Re: [BRHSlist] New Metra Units

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] New Metra Units
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:07:14 -0500
Since the new Bi-Levels look like the clandestine coupling of a Gallery Car
with a Pioneer II prototype I don't think any self-respecting Q E unit would
join tightlocks with Metra equipment.
The best thing that can be said is the new units may be less ugly than the
F59PHIs and definitely less offensive than the Frankenstein units that were
built for the Long Island.
I bet the new Metra cars aren't built to CB&Q standards......guess we have
forgotten the lessons of the Naperville wreck.  It will be interesting to
see if the Metra cars last over a half century and counting (I may not be
around to observe it as I remember going through a brand new Gallery car
parked for display on the end of the tail track at Prairie Avenue in
Brookfield in very late 1949 or early 1950 ....as a four year old!!)
Reminds me of the story that I heard at one of the BRHS meets years ago
about the CB&Q engineer that went out to Budd to review the (Santa Fe
design) pre-war coaches and diners.  The Q didn't like the construction,
insisting that the buffeting strength (may be wrong term, but you know, when
they put the carbody on a rack and test the compressive resistance to
telescoping) were not up to Burlington Standards.
Mr. Ragsdale from Budd said something to the effect that "This design has
been made and approved by a Graduate of M.I.T.!!"
to which the young CB&Q engineer said, "Well, I am a graduate of S.H.I.T.
and I don't agree with those conclusions!"
Mr. Ragsdale send an angry telegram to the Corporate Offices dmenading that
the Q recall this crude person to which they replied that the employee was
indeed a graduate of the Sam Houston Institute of Technology!!!
The Q was proven right when the heavyweight equipment went through the first
Silver Inn like a knife through butter.
I may have heard the story from Bat.....
Charlie Vlk