Re: [BRHSlist] St. Charles Air Line

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] St. Charles Air Line
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 11:32:55 -0500
Ed-
The CStC&MAL was no longer an active corporate entity when it was being
operated as a G&CU branch...... but even today on the BNSF there are references
to railroads that have been gone for over a century.... the Chicago & Iowa
being a major example.
The "St.Charles Air Line" was built to extend the Chicago, St.Charles &
Mississippi Air Line track..... (C&NW sources indicate that only the connecting
tracks on each end were built indicating that the CStC&MAL was physically in
place, not just a projected ROW.........the "St. Charles Branch" connection on
its west end to Harlem on the G&CU and the "Union Track" extending it on the
east end to the new bridge and connecting track to the IC on the other side of
the river) primarily to join the Chicago & Auroa and the Michigan Central
....which were controlled by the same interests.  The IC and the G&CU were only
involved because they owned the tracks over which the interested roads had
trackage rights.
The C&NW did build their connecting track nine years later after completion of
the bridge.... in 1864 ....after the CStC&MAL track was abandoned west of
Western Avenue.  It would be interesting to trace in detail the C&NW's
development of the CStC&MAL terminal facilities along the CB&Q during this
period.
The IC later used the St.Charles Air Line Bridge to run trains in over trackage
rights on the CB&Q from Forreston, IL before the Chicago, Madison & Northern
was finished into Chicago and then afterwards to connect to their own line
which became the Iowa Division.....another interesting operation which is
largely in the mists of history at this time.
Charlie

And by the way, I for one am VERY much enjoying your book....I keep picking it
up and finding new information.  I recommend it to everyone who has any
interest in Chicago or Passenger Trains or is just interested in a good story!!