Re: [BRHSlist] Fwd: Commercial Post Chicago Union Station book

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fwd: Commercial Post Chicago Union Station book
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:37:03 -0500
List and Ed-
I was at Des Plaines Hobbies when Ed dropped off the store's copies....and
was the second one to buy it....and got an autograph from the esteemed
author!!!
The book is outstanding.  My only beef with the text is that Ed contends
that the St.Charles Air Line was built by the C&NW
et al as a connection from the C&NW to the IC....... I everything I have
seen leads me to believe it was a separately built road that the Galena
helped push into bankruptcy by blocking its westward expansion by buying up
all the property along the DesPlaines River.  I have to delve more into the
history of the charter and do some contemporary newspaper and trade journal
research to prove or disprove my theory.
The C&NW did build a line along Western Avenue to the St. Charles Air Line,
but it was to replace the line from Harlem to the vicinity of Robey Street
when the CB&Q put its own line into service in 1864 and the C&NW decided it
didn't need an additional main line to Chicago from Harlem (Oak Park).
The CGW later built its own line on the abandoned right of way and shared it
with the Chicago & Northern Pacific (Wisconsin Central/Soo Line) and most of
it ended up belonging to the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal.
Charlie Vlk