[BRHSlist] RE: Tender Deck/Cab roof colors

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] RE: Tender Deck/Cab roof colors
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:50:00 -0500
Bcc:
The question of cab roof color 1st came up in the society in "77 and no less
than Bernie Corbin stated that although the red lead roof was common, it was
not universal as Lines West were less likely due to oil, etc and even on
Lines East it depended on the quality of the steel in the roof, age of loco,
Alco vs. Baldwin, etc.  Also many Q fans were primarily exposed to the fan
trip locos which colored their memories of Q steam (no pun intended!),
Those did have red cab roofs plus even by 1958, the last year of appreciable
revenue steam use, the newest Q steam locos were already nearly 20 yrs old.
As I recall some of the locos on Bernie layout had black cab roofs.  As for
looking at old b/w prints, the instant weathering by exhaust gasses makes it
hard to tell which locos had red roofs and when.  As for tender decks, I
agree with John; unless some former shop people recall otherwise, any such
red lead was an exception to the rule.  Some tenders went into MoW service
and I don't recall any with red including those painted MoW orange as I
liked to get paint chips from the tops for a variety of reasons.   Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM