Re: Steam question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Steam question
From: "kd 423" <kd423@h...>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:11:52 -0500
Bcc:

Hi Lenny,

Several things could force an on-road repair. John's answer is most often thought of.

But if they broke a spring, and no one was around, the crew would use wedge-shaped wooden block(s) to slowly run up on to force the drivers high enough to chain the axle up to relieve some or all of the weight to limp into the next town or siding. Should have made a fun day for all.

I just heard on Wednesday a wonderful recounting of a similar story I had heard as a kid from my Dad, told by Bill Frankey's Dad, on Bill's movie - The Last Steam Man.

The Last Steam Man is a wonderful movie that Bill is working on for release next year on the 150th anniversary of Galesburg as a railroad town. Absolutely, one of the best personal experience movies I've ever seen. You'll enjoy it.

Randy
Mile Post 206 Publishing, Inc.

To take a set of drivers out of contact with the
rails,i.e. take the load off, the set was jacked up
and a block of hardwood was placed under the journal
box and on top of the retainer in the pedestals, on
each side. They would be blocked up in case of a loose
tire, cracked driver center, hot pin, etc. Of course,
the engine had be operated slowly.
John D. Mitchell, Jr.