Re: [BRHSlist] Budd car skirting

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Budd car skirting
From: railbass@a...
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 03:50:14 +0000
Jack -
I have not accomplished this yet, but I am modeling the California Zephyr in
HO with Con-Cor models. I have 16 kits mostly bought at swap meets or train
shows for bargain prices, including one Amtrak set I bought at Caboose Hobbies
junk sale a couple of years ago. I plan to use the cars which fit the CZ
types and then use duplex sleepers, slumbercoaches, and extra baggage cars to
make the skirting, using the skirting and parts of the roof. If you look
around at train shows, you can often find earlier Con-Cor kits for a low
price, and you can sometimes find unpopular road name kits (like Amtrak) at
your local hobby shop or one of the internet mail-order houses for a clearance
price.

Con-Cor's diner does not have the correct window and door spacing for the CZ,
but Brass Car Sides makes sides for the NP North Coast Ltd Budd full diner
which have the correct spacing. You attach them to a Rivarossi car, attach
Union Station Products corrugated siding, and use a Con-Cor roof to complete
the CZ diner.

I also have Stewart's F3 A-B-A Phase II set without dynamic brakes and painted
in CB&Q's passenger colors. The only problem with this set is that the A
units do not have passenger pilots, which all Q F3, F7 and F9 A units did. I
am replacing the pilots with those from the Highliner A unit kit. I am hoping
that BRHS may help us get Athearn or Highliner to sell the passenger pilots
separately, as most of us cannot afford to spend $50 to equip our Q F units
with passenger pilots. I am using the Highliner kits to make F2As, which had
the EMD standard pilot.
- John Manion
Denver, CO