Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Stock Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Stock Cars
From: "John Robert Adams" <steamera@n...>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:11:10 -0500
Two potential options exist in HO scale that I'm aware of.

The easiest to come by would be the CDS dry transfers for the SM-16 and SM-18 cars. This set is available in multiple scales. I've used several other CDS sets over the years and they are accurate and well-done. My only beef with them is that they need to include more numerals with some sets to provide greater ease of numbering cars. Dry transfers are a different animal to apply than decals. They'll probably require practice (and certainly patience) to achieve acceptable results. One easy way out is to burnish the entire dry transfer set onto a sheet of decal paper, apply a clear overcoat (Do not use Testors Dullcoat), and then cut the decals and apply as normal. After being applied to the model, you will want to overcoat the decals with a flat finish to hide the film and protect the lettering (just as with any other decal).

Another potential source of decals would be Sunshine Models, which released a cast resin model of either an SM-16 or 18 this past year. I plan to order some of these kits in the near future and will be happy to share my impressions once I've received them. Resin kits are expensive and not for the novice modeler, but it is nice to have an alternative to the beautiful brass models done by Challenger a few years ago. I have no idea whether the decals are available separately, but do know that orders from Sunshine can take a while to get.

Best regards, Rob Adams

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:25:17 -0500