Sream Loco bell & John Mitchell contact

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Sream Loco bell & John Mitchell contact
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:30:46 -0500
Bcc:

Have some more Beardstown retirements names/dates for John Mitchell but he hasn't been on line for awhile so need his email. Thanks!

I have the bell & yoke to O5a #5629. I know someone will say, "how is that possible, 5629 is at the Colorado RR Museum in Golden?". At the time it was ret'd., a then Q VP had the yoke & bell removed & placed in his backyard in LaGrange - I later acquired it from his widow. In the interim when the Q decided to donate 5629 to Golden, they took a yoke & bell from another loco going to scrap and reattached it to 5629. (Whether the folks @ Golden knew it @ the time, I have no idea but I notified them when I learned of the switch). A Q fan who owns a large Q bell but not a yoke, has approached me to have a replica of my yoke made @ a Winona, MN foundry to use for his bell. If there is anyone out there (you or an acquaintance) that needs one of the unique forward mount yokes for a Q bell, let me know & I can get you cost figures when the time comes (this summer approx) - the yoke would also work for some other RR's bells of course - can give dimemsions to those who need them. The more steel castings made, the cheaper - the cost is in the mold making. And if you don't own a Q bell, a yoke would make a unique collectible (although you will have a hard time convincing your wife of that!). If you have never been up close to a large Q bell - they are that - LARGE not to mention the yoke that holds them,

Gerald Edgar