Re: [BRHSlist] does anyone here have the Challenger Imports O-5?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] does anyone here have the Challenger Imports O-5?
From: Ed Pavlovic <cbq168a@i...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:51:25 -0500
Richard,
I have one of the Challenger O5a's, but not one of the
Oriental/sam built models. I do have a much older Samhongsa
built (early 80's) vintage (of another roadname), but my
feeling is the Challenger O5a is the best running steam loco
that I own. Easily the heaviest, best balanced, smoothest
running brass engine I've seen. I didn't have to spend
hours "tweaking" the mechanism, unlike an Overland 4-8-4
that I have, two drivers are out of quarter and the builder
filed the rod holes egg-shaped to make it run better. I
like it better than the Proto Heritage 0-6-0 that I have, it
pulls more!

I still have to install a decoder in it, there's enough room
to install one in the boiler, and eventually plan to install
a Soundtraxx DSX in the tender.

Ed Pavlovic