Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal and Ice

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Green Marked Coal and Ice
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:23:16 EST
Ralph and list

I too remember the cardboard signs put in the window...it would have a number
on each edge...25...50...75 etc...This would indicate to the ice delivery man
how much ice he needed to bring in...save him coming in and asking then
having to go back out and get it...I never knew that these were used for
coal..,but I lived in a small town and perhaps they were used in larger
communities....However, as the old Conductor said when he had a message to
stop No. 22 one night at Corning, MO to pick up a young passenger, and was
asked if he was "surprised to stop here tonight"..replied..."nothin surprises
me anymore.

Pete