Re: [BRHSlist] Covered Bridges, et al

To: sdoyle19@i..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Covered Bridges, et al
From: Q5632west@a...
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:15:06 EST
In a message dated 2/24/03 11:53:10 am, sdoyle19@i... writes:

>it got me wondering if the Q or smaller branchlines in Illinois or Eastern
>Iowa had any covered railroad bridges

Greetings list:

Apparently the first Chicago & Iowa bridge across the Rock River at Oregon,
Illinois, was a covered bridge. This according to a photo published in the
Oregon Republican Reporter of Oct. 1, 1986.

The photo shows the eastern span to the island and is labeled on the photo
"R.R. BRIDGE and RO[CK RIVER]" with the latter part of the label cropped off.
No train visible, but the view is westward down the track. No real
identifying features, the topography looks about right, so I pass this along
as what the paper claims it to be.

The Republican Reporter publisher had an extensive collection of old photos,
so I presume this is from his collection. The bridge was replaced by the
time of the earliest photos in my collection ca. 1905.

Regards,

Bill Diven