Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q 303

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q 303
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:11:13 EST
Don et al

The 303 would be one of the "roundhouse goat" engines made from another
class of engine....The 305, I think, was at Lincoln for many years..I have
photos of it in its "unauthorized" white striping in 1954..There is a photo
of it in Al Holck's HUB...
I also have movies of 3.... at Denver in 1954 switching the diesel shop.

I don't have the photo but the square tank you see is the "saddle tank" which
gave these engines their name...The water was carried there instead of in the
conventional tender...These engines, were built from another class of engines
and the Q installed the tank over the boiler...

There were many "saddle Tank" engines built as such..We had one on the RPL&N
designated as No. 2..It was built in 1912 and purchased new. The tank was
round to conform with the contour of the boiler, but the "homemade" ones on
the Q carried a square tank as I recall without looking at the picture.

Don't know whether this answers the question you were asking, but if it
doesn't ask again

Pete