Re: [BRHSlist] Doubling the Hill

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Doubling the Hill
From: Eric Mumper <eric_mumper@m...>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:50:07 -0600
Sender: ericm@m...
Leo and Mike,
I've always called this 4H hill since I am from Ottawa and up at the
top are the 4H grounds, but it appears the correct Q term was South
Ottawa Hill - glad to know that. I actually saw Illinois Railnet stall
just south of Rt. 71 with that CF-7 and 6 cars on a really cold December
day. It's the only time I ever saw Hitt siding used. My parents lived
on the south side and it was always neat to hear 5 or 6 SD-7 and 9s
working up that hill. Wasn't as neat with the SD40-2 set 6850 and 6950
with the turbos.
One of the other tough grades on that line was just north of Wedron.
>From what I can tell, the Roustabout or the Wedron turn were used to get
loads from Wedron back to Ottawa so 86 would not have to P/U and try to
start all those loaded sand hoppers up that hill. It also appears the
Fox Valley job would have taken cars back north also. If this train
needed to double the hill, where did it double to? I would love to hear
more stories about operations on this line. The ones presented already
have been a blast to read.

Eric Mumper