Re: [BRHSlist] Depot Question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Depot Question
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyrus@r...>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:56:21 -0800
At 12:03 AM 2/16/03 EST, hottshot65@a... wrote:

>I'm trying to find as much information possible regarding the Oakland,
>Nebraska depot. The town once had two. I'm primarily interested in the
CB&Q
>depot that was built by the GN.

Gerald,

Al Holck's "Hub of Burlington Lines West" has a photo of the Q depot in
Oakland on page 262, with the caption

"Oakland, on the Sioux City-Ashland line, was reached by a Great Northern
tracklaying crew coming from the south in February 1906. The first car of
freight out of Oakland the following month was reported to consist of
"liquid refreshment for the thirsty of Uehling." A substantial brick depot
was constructed here and is pictured in 1970. This agency closed about 12
years later. The Omaha-Sioux City line of the Chicago, st. Paul,
Minneapolis & Omaha crossed the Burlington at Oakland."

The depot pictured is single-storey with a gable roof. The picture is
credited "Author's collection".

Best regards,

Randy

zephyrus@r... http://www.prototrains.com