re: depot signage

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: depot signage
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:40:13 -0600
Bcc:
Per the "Burlington Lines Std. Track Signs" blueprint book from Chief Eng's office dating back to 1920's (my copy last updated in "61), here's what it says:

Metal signs (depot & canopy): black 8&1/2" letters on white background with black moulding. In "55 changed to scotchcal black letters on scotchlite silver background but still black paint mouldings. (Canopy's had 6&1/2" letters) Surprised to see that 3M products used as early as "55!

Painted directly on depot end walls: white 8&1/2" letters as far back as at least "37.

That said, suburban depots were the least standardized of all Q depots so perhaps some had different colors. Most unqiue sign in the book, apart from the Zephyr curve & mileposts, for me anyway, was the "Keep off the grass" - anyone recall seeing one anywhere? Gerald