Re: [BRHSlist] West Eola Tower

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] West Eola Tower
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:44:49 -0600
Glen,

I worked that tower in parts of '66 and '67. I was told by gentlemen
that were in their 60's that the tower had been moved. One version
was that it had been at East Eola but that may be an exaggeration.

A track chart corrected to 01-29-30 shows the signal bridges and
tower at the correct locations. Street is actually labeled as
"Mc Clure Ave". It is in the right place with the crossover from the
West Yard running right through the crossing. The rodding to the
East switch went under the street.

The "moving" theory still stands up. I do not think that the tower
would have originally been built without any road access. I can
imagine the tower being at the crossing and later operational needs,
perhaps a yard reconstruction, making it necessary to move the
crossovers which would have dictated moving the tower along with
them.

Does anyone know if the yard at Eola in 1930 was configured as
originally built? It does have rather long leads on the West end
that could have been much shorter.

Russ