r: Browaday Ltd 5500/5508

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: r: Browaday Ltd 5500/5508
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:36:05 -0600
Bcc:
Per your Corbin, (assignment sheets on pp. 292/293), #5500 in "35 was assigned to Sterling Div., an oilburner with Worthington FWH; in 1952 it was @ Alliance, same equipment; purchased by C&S 6-57 (per Wagner's "Colorado Road") becoming their #804 (photo of it's R side in same & a color pic, R side, in Fulcomer's "C&S - S Div"). The 5508 in "35 & "52 was @ Casper - also oil burner w/Worthington*; it was also sold to C&S 6-57 becoming #807. Good pics of L side of it in Corbin (p. 118) & both sides of it in "Colorado Road" inc. view in "56 when leased by Q to FtW&D. Both had superheaters. There are also photos of both in action in "C&S Northern Div" by Ehrenberger & Gshwind. There is a very distant shot of 807 in "C&S - Personal Memory" by Grenard. There are numerous pics of 807 in "Rails Along the Foothills" by Lind but strangely none of 804; I did not look thru Speas' "Going' Railroading" but assume some photos of either loco in there too. Overall all then we will have models of a Q loco that ran on at least 3 divisions as well as on C&S & FtW&D for a total of 41 years!

*(Hol notes it was only 1 of the class with a Delta trailing truck, Corbin mentions that as well plus thatt they were assigned Lines West. I assume Broadway chose these 2 as they lasted in operation on C&S into "59 before scrapping in "60 plus 5508 had the unique truck). Does anyone have evidence that any of the 0-4's ever operated on Lines East? Gerald