re: Hubinger Walthers tank

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: Hubinger Walthers tank
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:24:25 -0600
Bcc:

#65685 existed pre-1998 (per my "98 OER) but not back in CB&Q days (per my "70 OER). Have not seen the model but assume it's a "modern" style. For those who model Q prototypically a "69 or "70 OER is invaluable as to what the Q had at the end and what realistically could be found in interchange pre-BN. (amazing how many wood cars still on Q roster into late 60's!). Sometimes they can be picked up @ model shows @ a fair price, othertimes you may see exorbitant prices. Of course the best deal is to have worked for a RR or have friends who did & get the OER's as they were retired - that's how I got most of mine plus a few newer ones from a small hobby shop. Will gladly answer any querys as to whether any particular frt car existed pre-BN, foreign or Q. I also have them in intervals back to 1890's if you really want to be specific. It's amazing as one grows older as a modeler how unsatisfactory some models are now compared to when we were kids & how "important" it is to have the "right" car number for the yr you model (in my case 1958). Sometimes I wish I could still be happy with old Athearn, Varney & MDC! Blame it on all on the 1st Train-Miniature cars - end lettering, sprung trucks, obscure roadnames, "wood" that looked far more like wood than the competitors, etc. A bit off the subject but to me Train-Miniature was what got the whole proto movement going along with Bob Longo's original Protoytpe Modeler magazines (esp. the NW version for us Hill Road fans) which in turn inspired Mainline Modeler, RMC's recurring proto model articles, etc etc. Gerald