The end of mixed train service

To: "BRHSlist" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: The end of mixed train service
From: "STEPHEN WYLDER" <crewswylder@m...>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:43:49 -0500
Some time in 1968, the CB&Q discontinued its mixed train services. On April 1,
1968, I wrote to W.F. Burke, urging him to restore the service, as it really
did not constitute any expense to the company to sell a few tickets for
passengers to ride in cabooses.

Mr. Burke replied quickly (April 5) and courteously, but negatively. In
addition to mentioning the undependability of mixed train service and the small
number of passengers, he wrote: "We also had some unpleasant experiences in
handling passenger trains on some of those branch line trains in recent years."

I had ridden the "Capital City Limited," between Des Moines and Albia, in
December, 1966, and it was a wonderful experience, thanks to a very friendly
crew. But after I received Mr. Burke's letter, I asked fellow railfans about
the "unpleasant incidents" and heard from someone that crewmen had been
assaulted by passengers on one of the Q's lines--I believe it was one of the
Fort Madison routes.

Can anyone supply details of any such "unpleasant incidents," which helped
bring down the mixed train service?

Thanks,
Steve Wylder