KCCC&StJ Route

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: KCCC&StJ Route
From: hansons@b...
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:40:25 -0600
I grew up in St. Joseph and now live in North Kansas City and have often
traveled the old Kansas City, Clay County & St. Joseph (KCCC&STJ) right-of-way.
In Kansas City - at Cookingham Road (just north of I-435), is northbound "NW
Interurban Road" which was built over the old R/W. It continues north and
northwesterly to an intersection with Sharp's Station Road, then Settle Station
Road, the (long gone) town of Stubbs at Stubb's Station Road, crosses Jowler
Creek, then on to Camden Point, MO and terminates in Dearborn, MO.
Two old depots can be found in Dearborn, I have been told that one is the old
KCC&STJ stop. Also, one steel truss bridge spans a creek which is said to be
an original interurban span. Most of the other bridges and culverts have been
replaced and the route widened for the road; although in many places you can
still plainly discern the rock cuts made for the original R/W.
In south St. Joseph, you could make out much of the R/W up until the time that
I-229 was built (70's or so, if I recall). The new highway construction
obliterated most of the remaining evidence of the old interurban line there.
Roger Hanson
Kansas City, MO