Re: Savanna "Crossing Gates"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Savanna "Crossing Gates"
From: "herrick01 <bherrick@k...>" <bherrick@k...>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:26:39 -0000
Denny,

The diagram sheet provides dates of installation of 1899 and 1911
and states that the plant was built by the Milwaukee. Further:

Installation: CB&Q 50%
CM&STP 50%

Maintenance: CB&Q 100%

Ownership: Same as maintenance

Operation: CB&Q 100%

Supplies: CB&Q 100%

Repairing: CB&Q

It was my understanding that the "second" railroad to town paid all
costs of construction, operation and maintenance of an interlocking
plant but that the installation is actually owned and manned by the
railroad it crosses. I defer to the railroad veterans' knowledge on
this, however.

My source for the diagram sheet is a photo-reproduction of all
Milwaukee interlocking installations from 1900 to 1931 originally
offered in a ring binder--now on CD--by Dave Cramer. Check out his
website at www.trainsite.8m.com.

Bob

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, Denny Anspach <danspach@m...> wrote:
> Very interesting installation. Which railroad (CB&Q vs. CMStP&P)
was
> "senior", i.e. who actually built, owned and staffed the
interlocking