Charlie Franzen death

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Charlie Franzen death
From: "Doug Harding" <dharding@c...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:28:18 -0600
>From the CNW list

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:13:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Dave Kroeger <iais_2000@y...>
Subject: Charlie Franzen

All:

I don't know if anyone has heard yet, but I found out
late this afternoon that Charlie Franzen, longtime
railfan/modeler/photographer, died of a heart attack at his home in
Washington,IA on Christmas Eve. I got word from his grandson Russ Lyon,
who also is a fan and lives in Washington. Charlie was in his 80's I
believe.

Most of you on these lists know that Charlie had
several of his photos published in many Morning Sun
Books: Rock Island in Color Vol 1 and 2, C&NW in Color
Vol 1 & 2, M&STL in color, CB&Q in Color Vol 3, and he
had the cover for the MILW in Color Vol 4. Cahrlie
also along with Dave Lotz of the BRHS did a book on
railroads in Washington that was published in
1989(long out of print). He was also a member of the
Iowa Chapter, NRHS.

Charlie was avid modeler too, his layout was based on Washington around
1948-49. He also collected a lot of railroad artifacts as well. I'm
thinking most of his stuff will go to his son Dave, his son in law
John(also a railfan) and Russ.

Charlie was also one of the founders of the Washington
Model RR Club. I went to many of the clubs shows' and
a few of their Sunday get togethers. He let my then
one year old run the "O" gauge layout at the club(they
also had a N and HO layout too).

Charlie was one of a kind, and I always enjoyed his
stories about railroads in SE Iowa.

I do not know of any funeral arrangements at this
time, I will post again if hear from Russ. Please keep
the family in your prayers. Also, if there is anyone
on the CB&Q and MILW Lists, please forward this on.

Thank you,

Dave Kroeger
West Des Moines