Alco's on the Q - New Information (and one you probably missed)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Alco's on the Q - New Information (and one you probably missed)
From: "thommack <mack@c...>" <mack@c...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:08:30 -0000
I just got my copy of Mike Spoor's Vol. 4 and have the following
updates to pooled Alco power on the CB&Q (for those Deisel
AlcoHaulics on the list):

Probably the most interesting picture is found (mislabeled - heads up
Mike!) on P. 48. The bottom picture shows Q Train 65 at Altona with
CB&Q GP20 931 leading three UP GP9B's and a UP GP20 in May of 1969.
Look again closely. The trailing unit is NOT a UP GP20. It is in fact
a UP Alco RS27, one of 4 owned by the UP (675-678)!!! PRR owned the
most RS27's, so probably a PRR or PC RS27 may have ended up pooled on
the Q. But since Alco only produced 27 of these rare diesels, and the
UP units did not last long (and were the ex Alco demonstrators),
confirmation of one running one on the Q is quite eye-opening.

Also add to the list of pooled Alco's a UP C630 (2906, at Galesburg
in 1969 - see P.11) and a NYC RS32 (another one of the rarer Alcos on
P 104/105). Although the RS27 and RS32 are only available in brass,
Stewart models makes a very nice model of the C630 painted for UP.

Last but not least, one of the rarer locomotives ever built is on P.
118, PRR GP9B 3817. Although the UP had quite a fleet, and these
turned up on Q pools constantly, the PRR/PC had only (as I racall)
only 5, and was the only RR other than UP to run factory built GP9B's.

Once again, a great book Mike with a wealth of new information!!

Tom Mack