Re: [BRHSlist] re: last red Q unit

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: last red Q unit
From: LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 21:43:51 -0600

MrClean85@a... wrote:

I remember seeing the 1960 along with other GP-9s at South Sioux City. In
the early 70's 2 GP-9 were used to haul trains back and forth over the Former
C&NW bridge. These GP-9s were referred to as the "Pingers" by the Q crews
(because of their back and forth trips to and from the GN yards in Sioux
City, IA. Northbound trains would stop the former Q yards in S. Sioux City
and exchange the larger motors (usually SD, late model GP or u-boats) for
lighter weight power for the trip over to Sioux City, IA

In late March or early April, 1971, just prior to Amtrak, a friend and I rode ICRR train 11 out to Su City and spent the day photographing Su City trains. In addition to the red Q units, which I recall as GP7 engines, these trains also used GN engines, which were painted in the GN's orange scheme. Two units were commonly used. I also recall a fairly ancient Q combination coach parked at Ferry.

LWA