A WINTER RAILROAD SONG

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s...
Subject: A WINTER RAILROAD SONG
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:19:56 EST
In the spirit of winter railroading...although we've not had much winter here
in Nebraska I wanted to give you a little taste of Railroading in years gone
by.

THE RUNAWAY TRAIN was written by Harry Warren and Robert E.Massey and sung by
Vernon Dalhart...a country singer of the 1920's who took his stage name from
two Texas town names. His real name was Marion Try Slaughter

Here for your midwinter enjoyment is: THE RUNAWAY TRAIN

vs 1

Twas in the year of '89
on that old SHYcago line
When the winter winds were blowin shrill...(sound of wind on musical
instrument)
The rails were froze, the wheels were cold
and then the airbrakes wouldn't hold
and Number 9 came roarin down the hill.

Chorus

Oh, the runaway train came down the track
and she blew
The runaway train came down the track
and she blewwwwww
The runaway train came down the track,
her whistle wide and her throttle back*
????can't remember this line

Musical interlude with guitar and harmonica

Vs 2

Oh a drummer* sat in the parlor car
and she blew
a drummer sat in the parlor car
and she blew
a drummer sat in the parlor car
and he nearly swallowed a batch of cards
????can't remember

Chorus Musical Interlude

Vs 3

Oh the porter got an awful fright
and she blew
the porter got an awful fright
and she blew
The porter got an awful fright
he got so scared that he turned white
????can't remember

Chorus....musical interlude

Vs 4

Oh the fireman said he rang the bell
and she blew
the fireman said he rang the bell
and she blew
The fireman said he rang the bell
the engineer said you did like.........(musical instrument whistle)..no
profanity in
songs of that day)

Chorus...musical interlude

Vs 5
Oh the runaway train went over the hill
and she blew
the runaway train went over the hill
and she blew
The runaway train went over the hill
and the last we heard she was goin still
?????

Chorus

End

*Throttle back. May indicate being closed (against backhead of the boiler)
or engine reversed (method of stopping when airbrakes failed) and throttle
back against tender (wide open..engine reversed)

*drummer...traveling salesman

A few years ago the NRHS Bulletin carried a feature article on RAILROADS AND
AMERICAN MUSIC. This song was listed in an exerpt from a Victor Record
Catalogue.

I had this record among my souvenirs many years ago, but I think that it got
broken and tossed....Any record collectors out there...I'd sure like to get a
copy.

Pete