Re: [BRHSlist] MDC/Roundhouse 50' Boxcar

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] MDC/Roundhouse 50' Boxcar
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:41:45 -0600
Tom,

Cars in that paint scheme were leased from General American
Transportation. In the early days of loading devices some Railroads
did not want to invest in specialized equipment that would raise
the cost of their own cars. General American had a small fleet of
identical cars in that paint scheme that were leased to various
RR's.

I would presume you are talking about CB&Q 23500-23549.
Identical cars were in series GARX 100000-124999. Many cars in
that series were leased to other roads.
CRI&P 110000-110024 and MILW 111015-111029 are examples.
I do not know what the original numbers were of the CB&Q cars.
They seem to be the only road that got their cars renumbered.
When the lease expired they were returned.

If you will note the 43xxx and 44xxx box cars were in a simplified
paint scheme. These were second hand and were leased from
U.S. Railway Equipment and Chicago Freight Car Leasing respectively.
Just had a small "Burlington Route" rectangular herald but no "Way of
the Zephyrs" or "Everywhere West".

BN practice was to leave the BN logo off leased cars and just go with
initial and number.

Russ