Re: [BRHSlist] AUTOMATIC HOBO

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s...
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] AUTOMATIC HOBO
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:17:38 EST
OK Guys...nobody's even getting close so I'm going to provide a couple of
hints which, in my opinion will give it away...however whoever gets it needs
to include with his answer the basis for the name...ie why was it called the
"AUTOMATIC HOBO"

Since I've played this game on both the RI and BRHS lists the RI guys are
going to claim unfair treatment, however the source which brought this whole
thing to me is Rock Island related so maybe it isn't.

The AH is a device which relates only to coal burning steam engines, and most
generally, but not always, hand fired engines

If you have BURLINGTON BULLETIN No. 34, look on page 69. Two photos of Q
Mallets...Both engines have AUTOMATIC HOBOS, but in the lower photo it is
most prominent and is even referred to in the photo caption (called by its
generic, but less colorful name)

OK..now you know what it is, but why is it called an AH? Hint...you have to
be familiar with an "unofficial" but common practice in steam days, to
provide additional help for the engine crew.....

Now I expect lots of correct answers...

Pete