Re: [BRHSlist] 6 months

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] 6 months
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:08:15 -0800 (PST)
Leo
Interestingly down here, they used to pull a neat deal
to provide extra switchmen in outlying yards (Herrin
Junction, Christopher, & West Frankfort). Not only did
they assign extra trainmen (road men), but section
men, firemen, roundhouse laborers, and even a furlowed
blacksmith. In short, warm bodies, with no student
runs or rule book exams in some cases, just anybody to
fill in, for a few days. The blacksmith was even color
blind! I got a couple of cold winter nights, at West
Frankfort,on the "number 9" job, before the
trainmaster found out I wasn't 18. When I turned 18, I
couldn't pass the eye exam, but that is a whole other
story! In any event, life used ti be a lot simpler,
before we lawyers messed it up.
John