Re: [BRHSlist] Shipping Nursery Stock (was SW Iowa Packing Plants)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Shipping Nursery Stock (was SW Iowa Packing Plants)
From: gary & kathy roe <wabashrr@s...>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:57:45 -0600
Pete wrote:
As to other traffic on the Creston Division the largest on line shipper I can
think of are the seed houses at Shenandoah Earl May, and Henry Field and a
couple of others. Their outbound business was largely nursery stock which moved
via railway express.

Had to move in passenger trains because the NS had to be kept from freezing,
and was carried in baggage cars equipped with steam lines.

Pete & All,

The Wabash also did a pretty good business hauling Nursery Stock out of
Shenandoah; but from what I have been able to determine, they used a lot of
reefers equipped with heaters.

gary