re: Train ID ca. 1910

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: Train ID ca. 1910
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:39:00 -0600
Bcc:
In addition to the earlier response that used a 1914 Guide, I checked thru Q TT's from 1907-1913 (your + & - 3 yr span). The size of the consist would suggest a regular Mpls/StP-Chi train but then it could also be a local special & thus the photo. In "07 #50 & #48 came thru @ 4:20 & 6:08 am as the only E-bd morning trains; too early. #52 was 6:29 in the evening. There was a Forreston to Chicago local M-Sa #22 however that arr. @ 10:22 am - perfect timing but 9 cars? By 1909 the Forreston train was an afternoon one & the thru trains still are way too early or late for your time-of-day suggestions. In 1910 #50 starts to fit as was scheduled for 8:10 am; as the "electric lighted limited carrying standard & tourist sleeping cars, 1st class high back seat coach, smoking coach & diner, it would have at least 9 cars with headend equipment. #22 is now the Rockford-Chi train and the locals from Forreston are #42 & 52 with the former coming thru @ 7:15 am - too early. In 1911 there is an added S-bd from Twin Cities & #50 is still scheduled to arr. Oregon @ 8:10 am. Forreston trains are unchanged. 1912 moves #50 back to 9:10 am - a better fit? And Forreston service is still unchanged. 1913 has #50 as the "Atlantic Express" & adds an obsv/sleeper & a chair car in the equipment list as a continuation of the NP. (NOTE: It was a continuation as shown in the 1st part of the TTs listing " through service" in earlier years as well but not promoted/named as such in the the specific table #8 til this year)

So overall an educated guess, based on # of cars & time to day, would be #50 in 1912? Or would this NP/Q train consistently have in excess of 9 cars especially in the summer with its now promoted Yellowstone Park connection? Perhaps then #22 in 1908? Then again the Q had gone from 2 E-bd (actually S-Bd by TT) trains from the Twin Cities to 4 in just 5 years so perhaps overall consists would be smaller; i.e. fewer cars per train added in the Twin Cities coming to Chicago? But there is one more piece in the puzzle: the Prairie. I would suspect that with the Pacifics available with more tractive force, they would have headed major NP/GN trains which would favor this train being one from Forreston. At least in my mind we could go back & forth depending on multiple assumptions. Aren't old photo's fun! Gerald Edgar