Re: [BRHSlist] C.B.&N./"Dining Car Track"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] C.B.&N./"Dining Car Track"
From: Mike Spoor <CBQRR@j...>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:09:32 -0600
Cc: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
List: I have interviewed over a dozen old heads who talked to me about
the "dining car" track. For a great number of years, #47 carried a diner
west out of Chicago to feed dinner to the westbound passengers on the
"Black Hawk." I am not sure when this practice stopped, but the diner
was cut off in Oregon. It would be picked up the next morning by the
eastbound #48. It was set out on the "dining car" track.

Here is where the story gets interesting. I have been told that the
waiters and kitchen staff slept in the diner. The steward would wander
across the street to a boarding house and spend the night in a real bed.
The lady who operated the boarding house was unmarried and her last name
was (I ain't making this up) Spoor.

Can anyone add to this story?

Mike