Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago After Dark

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com,PSHedgpeth@a...,BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, ritslist@s...
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago After Dark
From: Don Ross <don0731@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:11:07 -0600
You kids had transistor radios. We used crystals with a cat whisker and an earphone. I used my bed springs as an antenna.
At 10:54 PM 10/29/2002, Q5632west@a... wrote:

In a message dated 10/29/02 10:15:09 am, PSHedgpeth@a... writes:

<< I used to listen to a program which came on at midnight over
WGN ... The announcer was Franklyn McCormick...He
had a very soothing voice and about 2:00 am he would go to a certain place
and read Poetry. ...and you have to be 60 or better to tie into this one >>

Pete et. al.:

Before our esteemed BRHSlist moderator decides this thread is a little off
topic, let me note that in the early '60s we young Cub fans would ride the
Morning Zephyr from Oregon, Ill., into Chicago for day games. On several
occasions we dropped by the Q depot to send telegrams to the Cub broadcasting
team of Lou Boudreau and Jack Quinlan so we could hear our names mentioned
during the game on WGN.

Cub night games, of course, were all road games in those days and often heard
on a transistor radio smuggled into bed and under the covers. Franklyn
McCormick's "All-Night Meister Brau Showcase" came on late, maybe directly
after the West Coast games. I don't remember the poetry but was awake enough
to hear No. 47 and the odd freight blowing through town around midnight.

I'm barely 50 and suspect McCormick had other young listeners, at least
during baseball season.

Regards,

Bill Diven