Re: [BRHSlist] Radiators.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Radiators.
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:57:02 -0700
>>> On the early shovelnose pictures (like
http://gowest.coalliance.org/cgi-bin/imager?00004702+OP-4702) it looks
like there are turnstuds (right term?) spaced around the inlet grille
openings, as if to mount cloth covers like I sometimes see mounted on
diesel truck radiators. I don't remember seeing any pictures with covers
in place, though, so I'm probably way off base there and they're just big
boltheads... <<<

Actually, they're closely related to Dzuz Fasteners - a sort of folded-over
sheetmetal locking nut. They allowed the grills to be easily and quickly
removed and replaced, just as they allowed the engine cowlings on WW II fighter
planes to be opened easily. I remember noticing the similarity when we were
working on the Mark Twain in the 'sixties, because I was also a bit of an
airplane nut, and had seen the Dzuz advertisements in WW II "Aviation"
magazines.

Marshall Thayer