Re: [BRHSlist] Grilles and Radiators

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Grilles and Radiators
From: Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, Marshall.

> There's a mis-understanding here.

That's OK -- I'm good at that sort of thing.

> Removing and replacing the plates became tedious as
> the E-5s were relegated more and more to booster
> positions, so the plates were removed and
> the "grills" just painted over the MU doors. They
> *never* masked an actual air intake.

In all of the times I have ridden behind Q E's and
have
seen pictures of them, I have thought that
those "grilles" near the mars light were painted on,
but what do I know?

> >> Were these car-type radiators or something else?

> Similar, but much heavier-duty.

> >> Also, how effecient were they? Did they actually
> get the job done? <<

> As indicated above, the radiators were fine -
> quantity of airflow was the problem.

Thanks for all the info. Your letter will definitely
be saved to disk.

One other thing: Were there ever problems with units
freezing in the winter? I used to live in the north
suburbs of Chicago, and know that the Q, Northwestern,
Milwaukee, and possibly the Rock Island kept their
commuting diesels out in the open coupled to their
dinkies. Also, in December, 1968, I rode the Rock
Island's northbound "Plainsman," the last remnant of
the Twin Star Rocket, from Kansas City to Chariton,
Iowa. The train left KC over 4 hours late because one
of the diesels on the point had frozen up and they had
to go all the way to Kansas City, Kansas, to find a
lashup to replace the one that had frozen. I thought
at the time that maybe some industrial-strength anti-
freeze might have helped THAT situation.

Thanks again for your information, Marshall.

Bill