Re: [BRHSlist] XM-3A Boxcars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] XM-3A Boxcars
From: Mike Spoor <CBQRR@j...>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:41:33 -0500
Cc: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Tom: I just got back from BRHS meet in St. Louie. The answer to your
question is that most (but not all) new cars beginning in 1959 were
painted Chinese red. This lasted until 1969 when the pre-merger green
was applied to new cars. Examples of green cars are the coil cars (page
92 of the Color Guide), Class XAP-2 auto parts boxcars (page 65), Class
XML-16 boxcars (page 54) and the leased 40' boxcars (page 48) numbered
#39675-40634.

New cars between 1959 and 1969 not painted Chinese red included all of
the covered hoppers (light gray), insulated boxcars (forest green),
mechanical reefers (reefer yellow), the quad hoppers (black) and the
rebuilt HT-10 triple hoppers Some in black). Examples of all of these
can be found in the Color Guide.

I hope this helps.

Mike