Re: [BRHSlist] Zephyr questions

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Zephyr questions
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 05:07:52 -0700
> I have recently located the "Silver Bowl" in Colorado springs, and looking to
buy it, I believe it was part of the Denver Zephyr. <

Silver Bowl (C&S 750): Budd 1940. Observation/Lounge/Diner, built for
(original) Texas Zephyr service. This car is similar to CB&Q 300-303 Silver
Spirit/Star/Hours/Fountain, but lacking the mid-car vestibule. Silver Bowl
would be slightly inconvenient for fan service, since it can only be boarded
from the adjacent car (or through the uncoupled vestibule or boattail door).

On the other hand, it would be a prime example of pre-war Budd construction and
is worthy of preservation. At least you know there would be no need for
structural restoration, since Budd stainless steel is immortal <grin> - 62
years old and probably in better shape than I am!

Marshall Thayer