Re: [BRHSlist] Fire hose box

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fire hose box
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:56:59 -0700
Its time for me to start detailing my Q 0-8-0, and I was wondering what
everyone uses for the fire hose box? Next question is how is it attached to the
loco? The photos that I have don't really show how its mounted to the frame. If
its a scratch built job, what size is it? As always thanks to all who can help
me on this. John Trulson

John -

F-1 firehose boxes appear to have been approximately 14" square and 30" long,
mounted with the top roughly even with the top of the frame on the fireman's
side (to which they were apparently fastened), in such a way that the rear of
the box was even with the back wall of the firebox.

It looks like there is a top lid, hinged at the back, with two hasps to hold it
closed, one toward each end of the front. They were painted bright red (which
apparently did not weather well), and usually used the white "FIRE HOSE"
lettering on a single line.

This info is analyzed from photos, but should be accurate within 5% or so.

Marshall Thayer