Commuter stuff

To: ritslist@s..., BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Commuter stuff
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:28:11 EDT
While this material doesn't directly involve the Q or the RI, I found it
interesting and probably the same conditions prevailed on our favorite
railroads. Since there has been quite a bit of conversation lately on the
BRHS list regarding commuter operation I thought the material was timely.

>From Information Booth...RAILROAD November 1953. "Robert Casey and William
Douglas in the Pioneer Railroad, the Story of the Chicago & North Western
System give an interesting and amusing picture of Chicago commuting on the
CNW in the 1870's., "Commuters on the railroad carried their own lanterns.
The largest string of lanterns was outside the Davis Street station in
Evanston, Illinois. Raymond Park was a thickly wooded section in the 70's,
and on an early winter morning those woods were as dark as the "inside of a
fireman's glove". Survivors of those early days say that the lanterns of
commuters loping over the snow trails for the 7:23 were generally so thick
that the woods seemed to be swarming with fireflies. During the day the
station attendant would service the lanterns; trimming the wicks and filling
them with oil so that the owners would be able to find their way home from
the station in the evening.

I wonder if any of the Q or RI stations offered the same service.

Any of you guys remember February 1973 when Daylight Saving Time was advanced
to begin in February instead of the usual first Sunday in April. It was
black as midnight as we waited for the 7:16 at Midlothian.

Pete Hedgpeth