Re: [BRHSlist] re: Chicago commuter question/Mooseheart

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: Chicago commuter question/Mooseheart
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:43:21 -0700 (PDT)
--- Virginia Edgar <vje68@h...> wrote:

> Yes Loren - there was scheduled train service at one time all the way up
> Geneva (from there back to Batavia was one of the Q's very 1st
> abandonments
> but some of roadbed just S of C&NW(UP) main is visible).
> Ex-Q depot with Spanish tile roof is still @ Mooseheart along with a
> wood
> waycar on display in another area. Was a neat trestle on N side of
> campus @
> one time - anyone have a pic? (Was Ottawa, Oswego & Fox River Valley
> originally)
> Museum @ Mooseheart has some good photos of the depot in use, coal
> hoppers
> at the power plant (1 of the last customers on the line before
> abandonment
> back to NIFA/N. Aurora), etc. Some of the photos show Q trains but all
> hwts
> as I recall. Campus once served by 3 RRs (C&NW had their Geneva-Aurora
> branch plus CA&E) Gerald Edgar
>
> Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a clue of the connection
between the LIONEL Passenger car, (observation/streamlined 027 I think
that was silver and lettered in red, Mooseheart)? In Classic Toy Trains,
last year we discussed this car and I surmised although no one verified
since Mooseheart campus was a orphanage, maybe Jousha Cowen used the name
Mooseheart on the series of cars since he was very active in taking care
of children, and also the connection from having a Chicago Sales office
and showroom. We wondered this as most of the town names used on train
cars and stations reflected New York/New Jersey locations. Or is there a
Mooseheart on the east coast and it is a wierd coincidence? Just asking.

elmer53 (Tom Kaufman)