Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Ballast

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Ballast
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:17:04 -0700 (PDT)
I can't tell what kind of ballast that was used all
over Illinois, but on the Beardstown Division, all
spurs, branch lines, and secondary main lines and
their sidings used good old steam engine black coal
cinders. Most of the main line did too, up until the
60's. Before that a few places used river gravel,
which was light colared with a little brown in it,
about 1/2 inch screenings. Later some 2 to 3 inch
crushed limestone (white) was used, but the mainstay
was 2 to 3 inch crushed steel mill slag (very white
and very hard). Shoveling that stuff was murder!
John D. Mitchell, Jr.