Variant Depot Colors

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Variant Depot Colors
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:09:50 -0900
The title page of Carryl Hadcock's BURLINGTON ROUTE DEPOT LIFE has a photo
showing the Q's facilities at East Bridger, Montana in 1941. The depot and
another small building are both painted in a light wall color with dark
window and door trim. I've seen several other photos of Burlington depots
(all western, most or all from around this time) with apparently similar
paint schemes. For instance:

Corbin and Hardy, THE BURLINGTON IN TRANSITION, p. 89, depot at Mystic,
South Dakota, 1946

Corbin and Hardy, THE BURLINGTON IN TRANSITION, p. 90, upper left, depot at
Rocheford, SD, no date.

Corbin and Hardy, THE BURLINGTON IN TRANSITION, p. 90, lower right, depot
at Spearfish, SD, pre-1934.

Hardy, BURLINGTON ROUTE WEST: A PERSONAL JOURNEY, p. 26, freight depot at
Hot Springs, SD, 1949.

I'm not sure these all are painted in identical color schemes, but I'm
guessing they're at least close, and also guessing that the main wall color
is NOT white. Does anyone know what these depot colors were, and whether
they represented an "official" variant paint scheme (regional or otherwise)
for Burlington buildings?

Thanks,
Jonathan