Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off-Per Contract

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Step Off-Per Contract
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:47:15 EDT
Leo et al

Here's another little "step off" arrangement....informal to say the least.

There was a certain conductor..think he is now deceased, but I won't mention
his name on the Wymore Division...this is back in the late 50's.

Said conductor was said to be one of those guys who was "said" to have had a
wife, or mistress, on the St. Joe end of the run. This conductor would "step
off" the waycar at the old Francis St. Station in St. Joe to meet his
paramour. Francis St. is about a mile north of St. Joe UD and probably three
miles or so from Florence Yd which was the freight terminal in those days.

I worked as head brakeman for this guy a couple of times and he was never at
the Florence Yd office when we tied up. He did appear there, however, on the
return trip. He, of course, had an old head rear brakeman who apparently
covered for him for the "step off" arrangement. They were both pretty old
and decrepit at the time and maybe this was one of those things which was
"winked at" by management.

Orville Wells III.....contact me off list and I'll tell you who this was and
you can ask your dad about it.

Pete