Nebraska City Roundhouse Press Release

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Nebraska City Roundhouse Press Release
From: hottshot65@a...
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:56:55 EDT
For Immediate Release:

04/19/02-In regards to the collapse of our 1884 Burlington & Missouri River
Railroad Roundhouse, Heartland Railroad Historical Society (HRRHS) wishes our
sincere apologies to those directly affected by the collapse and to the
residents of Nebraska City.

On behalf of HRRHS and its constituency, we commend Mayor JoDee Adelung, the
City Council, George and Susan Yohe, and the residents of Nebraska City for
affording us the opportunity to try to save this structure. It is they who
gave us every opportunity they could to allow us to do something positive
with the roundhouse.

Unfortunately, nature prevailed. This event was most certainly an unusual
occurrence that those who had examined the structure had not anticipated, but
for which the roundhouse was insured.

In conclusion, HRRHS expresses deep sadness that this historical treasure
could not have been preserved in spite of strong efforts. However, due to
public safety the roundhouse should be taken down with the hope that
salvageable materials can be used in other projects.

God Bless,
Gerald Kopiasz, President
Heartland Railroad Historical Society
www.rypn.org/hrrhs